New York, NY 10011
Midtown Manhattan, very established company, 50 people in NYC office. Very smart and friendly people - a great opportunity.
Not-for-profit real estate company seeks an entry-level candidate with strong analytic, quantitative, written, presentation, and interpersonal skills for a position as Legal Assistant. This role is a key member of the office of General Counsel at the company. The group supports the organization in administering resolution processes, ensuring organizational compliance to relevant lobbying and other regulatory statutes, and reviewing legislation and legal matters for participation.
The ideal candidate will have an Economics, Urban Planning, Public Policy, Legal Studies or related degree, or an interest in pursuing a legal role.
Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and various research tools is necessary.
Familiarity with New York City real estate, government, economic development, and urban planning are desirable.
- Assist with company's arbitrations and ethics complaint resolution processes including preparing briefing materials, insuring timely submissions by the arbitrating parties, and helping organize annual arbitration and ethics panel seminars
- Work with outside counsel and government affairs advisors to insure compliance with NYS and NYC lobbying regulations
- Assist developing agendas and briefing materials for the company's Board of Governors, Arbitration Committee, Residential Ethics Committee, Residential Board of Directors, Ethics and Professional Practices Committee and other committees as the need arises
- Interact and correspond with company members and the public about the arbitration and complaint processes
- Bachelor’s degree required; 2+ years of professional experience is strongly preferred, also prefer someone interested in legal and/or want to pursue law degree
- Ability to interact professionally and competently with a diverse membership with differing needs
- Superior research skills, including policy analysis and best practice evaluation
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly in oral and written form
- Ability to deliver results in a fast-paced environment, and manage customer inquiries effectively and quickly
- Interest in law, urban affairs, real estate, construction, development and public policy
Hrs. 9-5pm, non-exempt
Medical/dental/vision, 3 Oxford plans, company pays 70%
Matching 401K; Pension Plan, fully vested after 5 years
3+ weeks PTO plus summer Friday's